covid-19 & our international programmes
...even in these strange and taxing times. Follow in the regular updates on our Facebook page and in the links below how we tackle the challenges of the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic:
All our international programmes remain available
As active member of Association KU LEUVEN we stay committed to offering you the same quality higher education as before the pandemic:
- Whenever possible and safe, we'll organise your classes on the UCLL campuses.
- But as long as lockdown measures or travel restrictions prevent you to physically attend, we'll provide the highly interactive on-line course alternatives our Belgian and international students currently participate in.
- We will continue to closely monitor these aspects going forward and adapt our response accordingly to honour our availablity and quality commitments to international UCLL students.
- UCLL is on top of the situation and currently reviewing the viability of the autumn mobility programme for international students coming to Belgium. Therefore, we advise students to make no unrecoverable costs like flights or accommodation until further updated around June 15th.
Unchanged level of affordable tuition fees for next academic year
Many aspiring international students face severe budget constraints in the face of soaring prices due to Covid-19's economic impact. Partly helped by the stable government subsidy for higher education in Belgium, UCLL maintains its high value for money offerings. Check for yourself in our tuition fee overview.
Stepping up our tradition of excellent student support
UCLL's consistently well reviewed student counseling, services and support is extended considerably to help international students cope:
- We regularly reach out to our international student community and worldwide partner institutions with pertinent updates of the measures we take in the face of the global pandemic.
- We filter out only the reliable bits relevant to our international students from the deluge of news annoncements, summarising them in handy overview leaflets and trustworthy posts.
- To alleviate the added stress of prolonged isolation due to the lockdown measures, we proactively initiate personal contact with our international students through weekly videochats with student psychologists, programme coordinators and UCLL International Office experts, as well as in Facebook Live chats.
- For the numerous non-European study applicants experiencing various administrative delays due to the pandemic, we've postponed the deadline of relevant application steps from May 1 to June 1, 2020.
Outstanding healthcare for international students in Belgium
Both local and international students at UCLL campuses enjoy the benefits of the excellent Belgian healthcare system, consistently in the top of European and wordlwide rankings:
- In view of the high number of available hospital beds and intensive care beds per inhabitant both nationally and in UCLL's Leuven-Limburg area , if needed international students are assured of proper care.
- A large majority of healthcare professionals are fluent in English, often their second language in a country famed for its multilingual prowess.
- Thanks in part to the large government financing of the Belgian health system, for the user healthcare services are affordable and accessible without excessive delays.
Here are the top grade data guiding UCLL's pandemic response
We act on the best informed, most recent sources from carefully vetted official and scientific information suppliers and policy makers, openly sharing access to their reliable knowledge bases also with our international students and applicants:
- Federal Public Service Public Health
- World Health Organization (global epidemiological information)
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (epidemiological information for Europe)
- Institute for Tropical Medicine (general information for travellers)
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs (travel advice)
- Travel to Belgium
- Sciensano (guidelines from the Belgian government for handling people suspected of being infected with SARS-CoV-2)
- Website of the Belgian government
- KU Leuven webpagina Coronavirus
Development studies and International Cooperation: Advanced Bachelor
- Do you have critical considerations on sustainable development, international cooperation and global inequality?
- Have you obtained a bachelor's or master's degree?
- And are you looking for a responsible commitment as a volunteer in the South?
Then you could be the world citizen we are looking for!
internship in the south
This programme aims to encourage young people to become critical and committed world citizens. We do this by offering an established quality experience of 6 months in one of the following developing regions:
focus of the programme of development studies
As a preparation, you'll receive an intensive interdisciplinary start programme for two months. You will be assigned a placement in a project and an academic counsellor (coach) with whom you cooperate intensively during the internship.
During and after the internship, as a student you go through a process wherin you reflect upon your own evolution and the intercultural, global and developmental aspects of your experience.
It's a one-year bachelor programme of 60 ECTS credits. It's available in English or in Dutch.
This programme focuses on intensifying broad international and intercultural competences. As a student you will not be trained on deepening your specific professional competences linked to your bachelor's or master's degree.
- September until October: classes start on 1 September in Leuven for 2 months.
- From November to May: you will live and work with one of our partner organisations in the South depending on your preferences and competences.
- In May and June: the year is concluded with (4) exams and a presentation of your final assessment in Leuven.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
The ICoNS-team takes pride in the intensive guidance of its students. We strive for finding a match between you as a candidate, your background and interests on the one hand and our partners and their fields of activity in the global South on the other hand.