Student housing in Leuven
KU Leuven Housing Service is ready to welcome you to Leuven! They will be able to provide all international UCLL students with information on how to find a suitable accommodation.
WE’VE GOT AN APP FOR THAT!
Kotwijs is a university-powered database of available student accommodation in Leuven. It will allow you to specify your:
- Price limit
- Rental period
- Comfort level (example: a separate bathroom)
Rooms with a ‘Kotlabel’ quality label are approved by the City of Leuven as suitable student residences. In Spring 2018, the Leuven “Kotlabel” was introduced to identify student rooms that comply with required standards of fire safety, contract, quality of living and student friendliness . There are two types of labels.
Rooms with the blue label (all rooms in ‘Kotwijs’ have it):
- meet required standards of fire safety
- use a fair contract
- guarantee a good quality of living
- are student-friendly
Rooms with the green label have been approved by the university housing service AND the City of Leuven. Only a handful of rooms have been awarded this green label as most rooms have not been inspected by both yet.
PRIVATELY OWNED VS. RESIDENCE HALL
The majority of student rooms in Leuven are privately owned.
- If you encounter troubles understanding your contract, send it to the housing service for a proofread.
- Make sure to choose one with a blue quality label! (kotlabel)
A minority of the total housing offer in Leuven is available in residence halls.
These residence halls are either:
- managed by KU Leuven: Central Service and Student Service residence halls
- in cooperation with KU Leuven
- managed on the private market
For all of them, there is a limited number of residences!
1. Central Services Residence Halls
- Between 27 March 2021 and 28 April 2021, you can apply for a room in a Central Services Residence for the 21-22 academic year.
- Read the terms and conditions, before applying online.
- Applying ≠ guarantee you will get a room there!
2. Student Services Residence Halls
These rooms are reserved for international students with a very limited budget. Please consult the Student Services Residence Hall website.
- Sign-up only (!) available for international students during the Introduction Week
- Very limited availability
- Only one option given, no choice between rooms
Applying ≠ guarantee you will get a room there!
Important details about the Rental agreement
Legally, every rental agreement:
- has to be written
- is only valid if both tenant and landlord sign it
- cannot be terminated before it expires when signed, except in three cases (prior to the entry into force, upon study deregistration, upon the death of the student's parents/guardian).
You can find more detailed legal information in the Flemish housing rental decree.