Student housing in Leuven
KU Leuven Housing Service is ready to welcome you to Leuven! They will be able to provide all international UCLL students with information on how to find a suitable accommodation.
WE’VE GOT AN APP FOR THAT!
Kotwijs is a university-powered database of available student accommodation in Leuven. It will allow you to specify your:
- Price limit
- Rental period
- Comfort level (example: a separate bathroom)
Rooms with a ‘Kotlabel’ quality label are approved by the City of Leuven as suitable student residences. In Spring 2018, the Leuven “Kotlabel” was introduced to identify student rooms that comply with required standards of fire safety, contract, quality of living and student friendliness . There are two types of labels.
Rooms with the blue label (all rooms in ‘Kotwijs’ have it):
- meet required standards of fire safety
- use a fair contract
- guarantee a good quality of living
- are student-friendly
Rooms with the green label have been approved by the university housing service AND the City of Leuven. Only a handful of rooms have been awarded this green label as most rooms have not been inspected by both yet.
The majority of student accommodation is privately owned. Only 20% of the total housing offer is available in university residence halls.
Privately owned vs residence halls
Accomodation on the private market
The majority of student rooms in Leuven are privately owned. (= 80% of the housing market)
We highly recommend looking for housing via www.kotwijs.be, the online housing database.
Why look for housing through Kotwijs?
- We have a cooperation with the landlords in this database, so there is no risk of fraud.
- All accommodation in this database meets our minimum requirements regarding to housing quality, fire safety, student friendliness and housing contract.
- Kotwijs allows you to set criteria according to your personal preferences (comfort, rental price, rental period, etc).
Accomodation in a residence hall
A minority of the total housing offer in Leuven is available in residence halls. (=20% of the housing market)
These residence halls are either:
- managed by KU Leuven: Central Service (1) and Student Service (2) residence halls
- in cooperation with KU Leuven (3)
- managed on the private market (4)
For all of them, there is a limited number of rooms!
1. Central Services Residence Halls
2. Student Services Residence Halls
These rooms are reserved for international students with a very limited budget. You can find more information on the application procedure here.
3. Cooperated Residence halls
You can apply online until November 21th 2021 through this webpage. It is also advised to contact the residence hall you want to apply for directly. Contact details of the residence managers can be found on their webpages (you need to scroll down a bit).
4. Privately managed Residence halls
Legally, every rental agreement:
- has to be written
- is only valid if both tenant and landlord sign it
- cannot be terminated before it expires when signed, except in three cases (prior to the entry into force, upon study deregistration, upon the death of the student's parents/guardian).
You can find more detailed legal information in the Flemish housing rental decree.
Beware of fraudulent advertisements if you search for housing via other websites or Facebook.
Have you got questions? Visit the FAQ-page of the Housing database or send an email to huisvesting.limburg [at] ucll.be.
Useful rental tips
Last but not least, we advise you to keep the following things in mind:
- The contract that you will sign will most likely be in Dutch. As it is very important to understand it before you sign it, you can contact the KU Leuven Housing service for a translation or more information about your rental contract.
- Remember that Leuven is a very small city (2 km across) with easy access to public transport and the possibility of renting a bike or buying a cheap student bus pass. Therefore, do not dwell too much on finding a student room closest to your campus.
- The average rent for a single room is approximately € 360 per month, including utilities. The rent for a room with private facilities (a private bathroom OR private shower) is approximately € 500 per month. The average rent for a studio for one person is approximately € 540. More info on living cost in Belgium.
- If no student housing has been arranged before arrival in Leuven you are strongly advised to book temporary accommocation (youth hostel, guest housing, airbnb, ...) yourself well in advance! You can find more information on this webpage.